Please contact us on 062 258 3541 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can help FAW and the animals we work for.
FAW is a primary healthcare animal welfare organisation based in Fisantekraal/Greenville. We work with the animals belonging to the residents of this area, as well as Klipheuwel, Morning Star (Durbanville), and surrounding farms. We’re open on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 09h00 – 12h00.
We are not a shelter and, with the exception of a few clinic cages for sick or recovering animals, we don’t have kennelling facilities. This means we don’t have dog walking, playing with puppies or cats, etc. However, there are always animals around and you’ll get to interact with all sorts, including our clinic regulars.
We welcome volunteers and our work is informal, varied and never dull!
Aren’t able to work in Fisantekraal but still want to help? We need people to run market stalls, fundraising events, liaising with stores to place tins and trolleys, and much more! Visit our Help pages for more info.
What do FAW volunteers?
- Talk to people – a lot! Discuss animal sterilisations and the need for it, as well as general healthcare and correct animal care, sign animals up for sterilisation, and more. Being calm and collected is important. And, if you can speak Afrikaans and/or isiXhosa as well, it really helps!
- Pack and sell subsidised food
- Transport sick or injured animals
- Work at the informal shop
- Assist in our treatment room
- Fieldwork (driving around checking on animals, removing stitches, assessing situations, placing kennels and runners, etc) – over 18s only.
- Help with kennel deliveries
- If anyone is able to assist us in keeping an eye on farms around Durbanville and Klipheuwel, as well as possibly bringing animals in for sterilisation, please let us know.
- Sterilisation days (‘sterithons’) several times a year. These are usually in Fisantekraal but are occasionally in Durbanville.
(Under 18 and considering volunteering or need to your community service project? Please call us to arrange. All under-18s must be accompanied by an adult.) Please read the following: Community service info
There are MANY other things we need help with and we welcome ideas and input from our supporters.
- Do you take amazing photos and feel up to joining us at the clinic for a little while to snap some pics? Or take photos of our animals up for adoption? We have 6 dogs at Uitsig ARC and others in foster care.
- Have you got skills at graphic design and want to make some beautiful infographics, flyers, or other content for us?
- Are you good at organising events, coming up with fab fundraising ideas, or have lots of contacts? You could help us with fundraisers like concerts, teas, etc. Any ideas, let us know!
- Do you drive around a lot or have a bit of spare time? Help by organising, setting up, and collecting money collection tins and pet food donation trolleys (local supermarkets and vet shops).
- Good at DIY? Help build or repair kennels or make sturdy collars. We need people to help us turn harnesses into collars too!
- Help out at adoption days or run a stand at craft markets. We did these for many years, but have so few volunteers now that there just isn’t anyone available. Some adoption days are without animals, others without – it really depends on the event. These are great at raising awareness and we’d love it if we could get them going again!
- Why not network with your neighbourhood groups for donations of food, shop items, money, collars, etc.
- Foster a dog, cat, puppy or kitten until it finds a forever home. Visit FOSTER for more info.
Return to the Help page for more info on how to assist FAW or pop us an email at email@example.com.