Helping people to help animals.
084 519 0388 / 062 258 3541 or firstname.lastname@example.org – OFFICE HOURS ONLY PLEASE (09h00 – 18h00 9AM – 6PM)
FAW works in Fisantekraal township, Klipheuwel, Morning Star, and surrounding farms. We’re open on Saturdays and Tuesdays, from 09h00 – 12h00.
We welcome volunteers and our work is informal, varied and never dull! Download the volunteer info sheet: Volunteer Info
Aren’t able to work in Fisantekraal but still want to help? We need people to run market stalls, fundraising events, liaising with stores to place tins and trolleys, and much more! Visit our Help pages for more info.
What do FAW volunteers do in Fisantekraal?
- Talk to people – a lot! Discuss animal sterilisations and the need for it, as well as general healthcare and correct animal care, sign animals up for sterilisation, and more. Being calm and collected is important. And, if you can speak Afrikaans and/or isiXhosa as well, it really helps!
- Pack and sell subsidised food
- Bath and dip dogs (when there’s no water shortage); treat for mange
- Transport sick or injured animals to vets
- Work at the informal shop
- Assist in our treatment room
- Fieldwork (driving around checking on animals, removing stitches, assessing situations, placing kennels and runners, etc) – over 18s only.
During the rest of the week:
- Collect and deliver animals from Morning Star, nearby farms, and Fisantekraal to and from local vets for sterilisations.
- Help with kennel deliveries
- If anyone is able to assist us in keeping an eye on Klipheuwel and Philadelphia, as well as possibly bringing animals in for sterilisation, please let us know.
- Assist with fetching and returning animals for sterilisation.
- Sterilisation days (‘sterithons’) several times a year.
(Under 18 and considering volunteering or need to your community service project? Please call us to arrange. All under-18s must be accompanied by an adult.) Please read the following: Community service info
Volunteer indemnity form: FAW VOLUNTEER INDEMNITY FORM
Working in a township is not for everyone, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use your time to help us! There are MANY other things we need help with and we welcome ideas and input from our supporters. Just contact us first so we can discuss logistics: 084 519 0380 or email email@example.com.
- Are you good at organising events, coming up with fab fundraising ideas, or have lots of contacts? You could help us with fundraisers like concerts, teas, etc. Any ideas, let us know!
- Do you drive around a lot or have a bit of spare time? Help by organising, setting up, and collecting money collection tins and pet food donation trolleys (local supermarkets and vet shops).
- Good at DIY? Help build or repair kennels or make sturdy collars. We need people to help us turn harnesses into collars too!
- Help out at adoption days or run a stand at craft markets. We did these for many years, but have so few volunteers now that there just isn’t anyone available. Some adoption days are without animals, others without – it really depends on the event. These are great at raising awareness and we’d love it if we could get them going again!
- And, of course, assisting with donations of food, shop items, money, collars, etc.
Return to the Help page for more info on how to assist FAW or pop us an email.