Children and teens COMMUNITY SERVICE important info
At this time of year, many school children and teens are doing community service projects; many want to work with animals, which is great! We are always happy to have people interested in volunteering with us and sharing our love for the animals.
To volunteer with FAW, please contact us ahead of time so that we can have space for you. Email us at email@example.com or phone 062 258 3547 or complete the online contact form.
Here are ten things you need to know:
1. We are based inside a township. It can be scary and chaotic. You may see some pretty upsetting things. If you have a sensitive soul, this may not be for you.
2. We work with animals who have owners, not shelter animals, so there may not be lots of interaction with the animals. You will be based at the containers or the clinic. If you’d prefer something more shelter-based, there are many rescue centres and shelters so give them a shout and offer your help.
3. We are a small group working from small premises and can only accommodate 2 or 3 at a time. We need to plan for this. So, if you do decide that FAW’s the place for you, please contact us well in advance! We really don’t want to have to turn you away.
4. Under 18s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Under 18s will be based at the containers/clinic and will not accompany us on fieldwork in the township. An indemnity form will be signed by the parent or guardian before children will be permitted to volunteer.
5. PLEASE don’t leave it to the last minute or everyone will be fully booked with volunteers! Which will leave you with no project, your parents stressing out, and the welfares under pressure.
6. The people bringing their animals and, of course, the animals themselves are our priority. We cannot ‘baby sit’, and all volunteers need to know that they will work hard. Parents are very welcome to come with but we’d love it if you can join in too!
7. Volunteering with animals is not an easy ride; you will need to work hard. Children and teens who do not pitch in may not have their forms signed off, so please be prepared to get your hands dirty. However, you will surprise yourself by how much you enjoy it!
8. We do not recommend that very sensitive children join us as sometimes we see some really upsetting things. Remember, FAW is located in the township – this is ‘real life’.
8. Whether you volunteer with us or at a shelter, remember that the animals are priority and that you need to respect this. Although we’ve had good experiences with our school volunteers, every year animal welfares experience problems – kids/teens (and their parents) being rude to shelter workers when they don’t get attention or are sent home due to bad behaviour. Smoking in stables, sitting around doing nothing, letting animals out of pens, not following health and safety rules, etc. are NOT ok. Each animal is a life that needs protecting.
9. Please wear comfortable, old clothing and no revealing clothing. Keep any valuables (e.g. cellphone) on you and do not ‘flash it around’. Bring water or cooldrink with you.
10. Please respect the people working there, the residents of Fisantekraal, and the animals that rely on them for their safety and care.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and to consider volunteering. We look forward to working with you!