Join us and make a difference! We are always in need of pawsome people who want to help. Please contact us on 062 258 3541 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can help FAW and the animals we work for.
FAW is a primary healthcare animal welfare organisation based in Fisantekraal and Greenville, near Durbanville in the Western Cape. We work mainly with owned animals which belong to the residents of this area, as well as Klipheuwel, Morning Star (Durbanville), and surrounding farms. FAW is open on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 09h00 – 12h00.
Please be aware that FAW is not a shelter. With the exception of a few clinic cages for sick or recovering animals, we don’t have kennelling facilities, which means that we don’t have dog walking, socialising of animals, etc. However, there are always animals around and you will get to interact with all sorts of dogs and cats, including our clinic regulars. You will also get to work with a great team of other volunteers, and enjoy varied and interesting work.
Aren’t able to work in Fisantekraal but still want to help? We need people to run market stalls, fundraising events, liaising with shops to place tins and trolleys, and much more! Visit our Get Involved pages for more info.
What do FAW volunteers do in Fisantekraal and Greenville (and Klipheuwel, Morning Star, and surrounding farms)?
- Talk to people – a lot! Discuss animal sterilisations and the need for it, as well as general healthcare and correct animal care, sign animals up for sterilisation, and more. Being calm and collected is important. And, if you can speak Afrikaans and/or isiXhosa as well, it really helps!
- Pack and sell subsidised food
- Transport sick or injured animals around the area to and from the clinic, and between Durbanville or Bellville and our areas of work.
- Assist in the informal shop
- Assist in our clinic
- Fieldwork (driving around checking on animals, removing stitches, assessing situations, placing kennels and runners, etc.) – over 18s only.
- Help with kennel deliveries
- If anyone is able to assist us in keeping an eye on farms around Durbanville and Klipheuwel, as well as possibly bringing animals in for sterilisation, please let us know.
- Sterilisation days (‘sterithons’) several times a year. These are usually in Greenville but are occasionally in Klipheuwel.
(Under 18 and considering volunteering or need to your community service project? Please call us to arrange. All under-18s must be accompanied by an adult.)
There are MANY other things we need help with and we welcome ideas and input from our supporters.
- Photography. Do you take amazing photos and feel up to joining us at the clinic for a little while to snap some pics? Or take photos of our animals up for adoption? We need photographers who are able to pop in at foster homes to snap great pics of our animals so that they can find the best homes.
- Design. Have you got skills at graphic design and want to make some beautiful infographics, flyers, or other content for us? When people share these, it raises awareness about FAW.
- Organising. Are you good at organising events, coming up with fab fundraising ideas, or have lots of contacts? You could help us with fundraisers like concerts, teas, etc. Any ideas, let us know!
- Running errands. Do you drive around a lot or have a bit of spare time? Help by organising, setting up, and collecting money collection tins and pet food donation trolleys (local supermarkets and vet shops).
- Good at DIY? Help build or repair kennels or make sturdy collars. We need people to help us turn harnesses into collars too!
- Adoption days and market stalls. We did these for many years but have so few volunteers now that there just isn’t anyone available so we’re looking for some RELIABLE people to put their ‘paws’ up and take this on. Some adoption days are without animals, others without – it really depends on the event. These are great at raising awareness and we’d love it if we could get them going again!
- Network. Please network with your neighbourhood groups, colleagues, friends, and family for donations of food, shop items, money, collars, etc. and tell them about animals up for adoption.
- Foster. Become a pet foster and let a dog, cat, puppy or kitten couch surf with you until it finds a forever home. Visit FOSTER for more info.